It’s the 365th day of 2010! What I can say about this whole year is, it’s been such an adventure! Working at TECMO KOEI could be the most amazing and craziest thing ever, because you just can’t expect what’s going to happen every day. I had a really bad moment that I really didn’t want to go to office because of the fear and stress; and I had a time that I was really looking forward to go to work because I loved every moment of it, so it’s been up and down.
The biggest highlight of the year for me is my adventure to Japan – thanks to the team for sending me there (EXP points massively increased) so I get to meet the most amazing Team Ninja and Mr. Yosuke Hayashi, the Dynasty Warriors / Bladestorm / Trinity producer, Mr. Akihiro Suzuki, Samurai Warriors / Gundam / Fist of the North Star producer, Mr. Hisashi Koinuma, the team, Tokyo Game Show 2010 and everything in Japan. It’s a week of experience but it’s definitely the best one by far. Here are the 12 highlights (of each month) of my TECMO KOEI journey, listed below.
– I was rushing on Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (PS3 / Xbox 360) and Undead Knights (PSP) sites at the same time, it’s been a tough month on this one. So no much pictures taken, the only good thing is I’ve attended to “Tokyo City Promotion 2010” which I’ve made some new friends and I believe at that time I wondered, it would be so cool if I could go to Japan one day, I was thinking to save money so I could make it in 3 years time (I actually made it within this year in September.)
– February was fun. We had a mini drinking party before the Midlands Expo started on the next day. We were promoting Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (on the consoles) and at the same time, due to the release of Samurai Warriors 3 in Japan, @julialaurant has put on some Gackt (who sings the SW3 theme song) makeup on me.
– Another highlight of this month is I’ve been picked to be one of the judges at the Japanese Art Festival 2010. It’s actually the very first time I’ve revealed myself and be on the stage. It made me really nervous but I’m glad I did it okay.
– March is really about something new! First of all, we’ve launched our TKE Vodcast channel with @markB0SS and @LauraSindall as the hosts, and we’ve announced the release of Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage here. Good thing is we’ve started something new, the bad thing is we’re not able to keep up from it. So here’s the lesson of improvement right there.
– Besides that, I’ve got to travel to Milan (Italy) to promote Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage as well. I’m sure we didn’t manage to do well as my boss expected (he didn’t tell me anything but I’m certain about this), so this made it our last journey of the year traveling out from UK.
– April is extremely gay. When I say gay, it usually means it’s too much of me around. Yes, in April, I’ve started this blog to write my diary sort of things, and I’ve also opened my TKE Insider channel which shows you the TECMO KOEI goodies we have in the office. I wasn’t certain if it’s actually right or wrong of doing this, I didn’t get my boss’ approval (’cause I know if I asked, it’s a hundred percent a no), but as I’ve seen many other game companies actually revealed themselves and took a step forward to get connected to the brand’s fanbase so I wanted to start this and make it successful then showed it to them that it actually works later. It seems like I didn’t do the wrong thing in the end.
– Talking about May, it’s of course the London MCM Expo. This is actually the most awesome expo set up and everything we had. I got to meet so many amazing people as well as the voice actors from the video game industry while doing the Vodcast set-up at the booth: Tara Platt (VO: Oichi, Ranmaru), Yuri Lowenthal (VO: Sun Ce, Zhang He, Guan Ping) and Kyle Hebert (Sima Yi). Not forget to mention that Andrew Stone from the Pineapple Studio was here and played Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage!
– June’s been cooling down for a bit, nothing special about it but the June 24th is KOEI Warriors‘ 5th year anniversary! This site has always been my baby, I started it and because of it, I’m now working at TECMO KOEI so I want to take this opportunity to say thanks to all the staff members again for taking a good care on this site after I left it 2 and a half years ago.
– July? Japan Expo? Sadly, no. I think it’s because of the E3 event in June, the guys got pretty tired and not able to make it to the Japan Expo (I was having my holidays back home while they went to E3 2010) – so for July 2010, it’s basically… this!
– August is cool with another Japanese Art Festival, again, I’ve made some more new friends from this one to share the TECMO KOEI loves. At the same time, @Kaka_Extreme had a cosplay workshop teaching and giving advice to the cosplayers with the cosplay hints and tips. I called it a TECMO KOEI Cosplay University because the samples she used are all the costumes she made from the Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, Ninja Gaiden characters.
– September is the greatest month of the whole year! Like I said, I went to Japan to do so many amazing things! Here’s the picture of me with the Team NINJA and that’s why we’re all in black, ignore that guy in red, he’s just way too miserable.
– October is the London Expo. It’s a blast because it’s the first time we had the Games Presentation on the stage with Dynasty Warriors 7 announcement, Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll and Warriors: Legends of Troy demo. MikeJenks got to put his costume on me, and we had such a blast! And of course, more new friends made – they came from different countries just for this expo, really touched!
– With the Dynasty Warriors 7 announcement, with all the hypes, we used this opportunity to meet more Warriors fans at Memorabilia (at the same time showing Warriors: Legends of Troy) and we’ve made this “Dynasty Warriors is My Life!” video – it’s so epic!
– Just staying in the office for a whole month, being quite moody with all the snow. But had some fun with my TKE boys and we had Christmas lunch and reviewed what we’ve done this year and our vision for 2011, and now I’m writing this an hour before 2011 arrived.
Thanks to everyone for the support and for such a fucking great year! In 2009, I was all about making websites and didn’t really know what I was doing and got really lost. In 2010, I’ve finally stepped up and had an idea on what I’m doing, and… My New Year Resolution is, “To keep working in a smart way and have no fear to make mistakes, the final result will prove everything.”